May 21, 2016

WD myCloud and slow backups again - the WD myCloud Mac App and the restsdk-serverd

I thought I had solved the slow backup problem with my WD myCloud, but of course (being technology) it became slow again. This time I found the restsdk-server process on my WD myCloud eating up almost all free memory of the WDmyCloud drive, which almost halted any file transfer. Solution was killing the daemon. You should be familiar with using a terminal and ssh-ing onto your WD myCloud. On the WD myCloud, after every reboot, I cast manually (since I haven't found a working solution for killing running processes automatically at startup, because obviously all runlevelchanges are ignored)
/bin/sh /etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop 
/bin/sh /etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop 
/bin/sh /etc/init.d/restsdk-serverd stop
I think, the problem was that I installed the WD myCloud App on my Mac, the restsdk-server seems to be the Software-Development-Kit for Apps most likely communicating with the Mac OS App. Since I do not use any of those apps anyway and use the WD myCloud simply as NAS for TimeMachine and File Storage, I assume I can safely stop the daemon. At least, without all these Daemons and the high-priority setting for the TimeMachine on my Mac (see the corresponding post)  I get transfer rates up to 20 MB/s and a useful NAS backup over an 802.ac 5 GHz WLAN, which I think is, although not great, but decent.

No comments: