Aug 2, 2011

The Lion roars tonight - MacOS 10.7 installation slightly different

Ok, so after the hipe around Lion, my nerdy heart talked me into getting a copy of it and install it.

First thing (cannot tell you often enough), before you do anything, install all available updates for Snow Leopard before installing Lion, create at least a backup with Time Machine so that you can revert to the last running state, and better: create a bootable clone of your system with SuperDuper! (get the Lion compatible one...) on an external harddrive and test it! I know all these steps are time consuming, but if anything fails, you can be sure to revert to your productive system state easily.

First installation problem: I have a non-standard setup of my harddrive, i.e. a MacOS partition, a Linux swap partition and an Ubuntu ext3 partition. Booting of Ubuntu is done via rEFIt (0.13).

The installer of Lion, either started from the harddive or from the created bootable DVD, refused to install Lion with the error "You cannot choose this harddrive as start drive". Great! On the plus side for Apple, Lion does not destroy anything in opposition to windows, which in doubt simply kills boot managers and whole setups if installed without caution. But how should I update my MacOS installation?

Ok, first try: removing rEFIt. According to their website, one should remove the folder efi. For whatever reason I needed to do this via the console. So first I used the Startup-Volume item in the Preference Pane to set the MacOS HD as startup volume. Then I deleted efi via the console:

cd /
sudo rm -R efi

A reboot brings up MacOS without boot menu *pheeew*. Now I tried starting the Lion installer again. Without success. Great. So I decided to kill Ubuntu. Started the partitioning tool of MacOS and deleted the Linux partition and tried to delete the Linux swap partition. Obviously, this is not possible for the Mac.

How to remove a Linux swap partition from the Mac
Download and burn a live linux CD of Ubuntu. Put the CD in your drive, and restart the Mac. Hold down the "option" key (= the "alt"-key) during booting until your Mac lets you choose the boot volume. Be patient, it might take a while for the CD to show up in the menu. Funny side note: the CD is interpreted as "Windows".
After successful bootup of Ubuntu, choose "Try Ubuntu". Open a console (which you can find in the Menu "Accessories" as "Terminal") and cast the following command

sudo -s
gparted.

When gparted fired up, delete the Linux Swap partition and reboot your Mac.

After doing that the installer of Lion could be started within the running Snow Leopard. Installation took about 40 minutes and did not mess up any of my personal settings or programs.

First impressions
My MacBook gets burningly hot. Probably because of Spotlight creating a new index. Programs I rely on like JabRef seem to work only with Rosetta (why the heck, it's freaking Java?) and therefore won't fire up. (They dropped Rosetta in Lion, for whatever stupid reason). In general, my laptop seems to be more energy consumptive, so I'll probably revert to Snow Leopard for now. Nevertheless, usability is definitely enhanced and it is very nice to work with.

No comments: