Aug 27, 2014

WD myCloud as NAS for Apple's TimeMachine

Since I got annoyed of Time Machine complaining about not being able to backup my stuff, because I am too lazy to always plug in the external hard drive keeping the TM backups, I got myself a 2 TB WD myCloud NAS.
First thing I did was assigning a fixed IP address to the NAS (as I always do for any network device shared by multiple devices within the network, e.g. network printers, or a NAS) in order to minimize problems with changing IP addresses.
Backing up one Mac via Time Machine works like a charme, when set up as the WD myCloud manual says.
BTW: just for security reasons: make sure you have switched off the external access via internet in the myCloud setup screen!
Update (2014, Jan. 2nd): ensure to update the myCloud OS to the acutal Version (Jan 15). They seem to have fixed a performance problem with TimeMachine.

No comments: